The first of two 5-speeds: this beauty comes to us from Corey W in Toronto. Beauty eh.
This is my Raleigh Record. Okay, well, it was a ten speed until I changed the crank and made it a five-speed. I hope that doesn’t disqualify her.
I don’t know the exact year, but I’m guessing ’80s from the decals.
- 59″ Raleigh Record frameset, original paint,
- Shimano 600 crank w/ 52t Shimano 600 chainring (from Raleigh Criterium)
- Shimano 600 rear derailleur (from the same Criterium)
- Shimano 600 downtube shifter (right-side only, still have the left don’t worry. same Criterium)
- Original “cup n’ cone” BB, re-packed and adjusted to perfection (I’m blown away at it’s quality!)
- KMC 5/6 speed chain
- I laced both wheels myself, for this bike:
- Rear is an old Weinmann 700C laced via new SS spokes to the original Suntour hub and Suntour Perfect freewheel
- Front is an old Volber 700C via new SS spokes to a Parallax widebody hub
- Original SR stem, nice and short, new ITM ergo drop-bar w/ white ITM bartape
- Exage SLR brake levers
- SNG long-reach side-pull calipers to accommodate the 700s, new white cable-housing all around
- Terry Falcon saddle, white
I love it, it’s the first bike that I built complete including lacing the wheels. In fact, the first wheels I ever laced.
This webpage rules, don’t ever stop the ten-speed love!!