This is Kevin M’s Jeunet Franche Compte. This actually the second Jeunet Franche Compte we’ve had on the site, but since the last was Monday Market entry almost 3 years ago, I decided that I would go ahead and grant Kevin the OTSG First seal!
This is the bike I use for commuting and grocery shopping. I probably use this bike more than any other, so it’s set up for comfort and reliability. The frame is pleasantly flexible and has generous clearance for 50mm fenders. The bike is usually equipped with a Carradice Camper seat bag and a bungie net. I picked this bike up at Chicago’s Working Bikes and set it up as a budget 4 season commuter. I slowly replaced parts with cheap stuff i picked up off craigslist or at swap meets. The velo orange BB really saved the bike though, I’m glad they started making them. After the original crank pooped out i tried to sell the frame, but nobody would buy…I’m happy it worked out like that.
Kevin M. Chicago, IL
- Handlebar: Nitto Grand Randoneur 45cm with Salsa Goma Tape
- Brake levers: Shimano 600; polished, logos and paint removed
- Stem: Kalloy
- Seatpost: Not sure, stock.
- Seat: Brooks B17; special edition
- Front rack; Jim Blackburn; with Wald medium basket and flashlights
- Rear rack: Velo Orange(?)
- Fenders: Berthoud 50mm; with homemade mudflaps
- Tires: Panaracer Pasella 35s
- Brakeset: Tektro Bigmouth 73
- Shifters: Simplex; stock
- Front D: Simplex; stock
- Rear D: Shimano XT rapid rise
- Crank: Shimano 600; 47/41
- Pedals: MKS Touring
- Bottom bracket: Velo Orange french threaded, 115mm